Friday, March 30, 2012

5 Days, 5 Looks, 1 Girl

As mentioned in my profile, I am a huge Voguephile and have been since I can remember. Not only is the magazine interesting, inspirational and well-written, but their website is chock-full of amazing ideas and pieces. I realize many of their fashion spreads can be a little "out there" and not for everyone, (not to mention the prices of said items), but you have to give them credit for their artistic vision, and if nothing else, appreciate what they do.

One of my all-time favorite features is called 5 Day, 5 Looks, 1 Girl. Basically, in a nutshell, Vogue's amazing photographers follow a Vogue staffer around for a week to see what she (and it is always a she) wears to the office each day. I love, love, LOVE this feature because not only do you get to see what women in a more fashionable part of the country are wearing (sorry, Charm City!) but you also get to see how arguably the most fashionable ladies in the most fashionable city in the world are wearing the current trends. It gives me the guts to try things I might not normally wear outside of my imagination. The feature is also very detailed and provides multiple shots of the outfit and its accessories. Here are a few of my favorites and what each one taught me about being more adventurous with my style. 

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
I love the combination of a grey/taupe shirt with a lemon chiffon colored skirt that Fashion Writer Esther Adams put together. Definitely makes me want to experiment with my color palettes.  I actually wore an exact replica of the second outfit to work on a casual Friday to rave reviews.  

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
Chioma Nnadi, a Vogue Fashion Writer, inspired me to try color blocking for the first time with this pink and orange combo she wore last summer. I tried my look with a pair of wide-legged, persimmon pants and a cobalt blue tee-shirt. You've got to hand it to this girl - she's not afraid to mix her prints!

photographed by Marko MacPherson
How cute is Cynthia Smith riding her bike to work in NYC? Really, it's this Fashion Assistant's first outfit that does it for me. I love menswear for women and isn't this just the chicest, little ensemble complete with appropriately utilitarian yet elegant and stylish boots? I also love how she works pastels into the look.  Most anyone can pull this off with basics probably handing in the closet right now. 

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
Each of the outfits worn last August by Marketing Editor Jessica Sailer shows such a different and creative side to her style. It's like five different women! The first look shows that even dressy dresses can work in the office with the right accessories. The second outfit is casual and chic in one fell swoop. Wednesday is fun and polished all at once. Thursday's skirt/sweater combo shows that there is still room for tried and true combos with a little plum accessory, and Friday is simple, comfortable and casual. 

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
I had to include the week spent with Fashion Assistant Kelly Connor. That first outfit puts my color blocking  skills to shame! Of course, it doesn't hurt that she has that amazing jacket (or is it a sweater?) to pull it all together. Reminds me that every now and then I should invest in some interesting, off-the-wall prints and color combinations. Bravo, Kelly!

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
Accessories Editor Selby Drummond sure does know her accessories. The one thing I've learned from scouring all these Voguettes' outfits is that none of them come to the office with minimal jewelry...even the ones who claim to only wear minimal jewelry! I'm not very creative when it comes to pairing jewelry with an outfit, so I tend to not wear much at all, but these ladies sure do inspire me to layer it on. Also, I love the two-toned jean look, the pastel cardigan with the black skirt and neutral shoes and those pajama pants! All still big trends this year. 

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
I've stolen that simple, high-waisted jeans look (great for short frames) from this feature, and I'm dying to wear a suit with shorts like Vogue's Director of Special Events, Sylvana Ward Durrett, does in yellow here. If only my boss would relent on the no shorts at work policy. One can dream.... 

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue
Putting together different prints has been a trend for a few season now, but I love how Filipa Fino, Vogue's Senior Accessories Editor, puts these two black and while polka dot pieces together and then adds leopard print shoes to top it off. And I don't think I'm alone when I say my heart palpitates when I see that sea of shoes behind her. (Sigh)

photographed by Marko MacPherson for Vogue

This look from Vogue Fashion Assistant Preetma Singh reminds me that there are so many great outfits just waiting to be discovered in my closet if all it takes is a dress, a blazer and belt!



So many great trends here also on Preetma Singh from the large coat to the cuffed jeans to the purse on a chain. What especially caught my eye about this look, though, is how casual and effortlessly put together it looks all at the same time. And how about that green nail polish and that killer ponytail? What I wouldn't give to have my ponytail look like that.

Have you pulled anything off recently as daring as these looks?

No comments:

Post a Comment